The Edutainer!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006


Vote Without Identification?

I am in shock on this election night. Not concerning any voting results, but because of my voting experience.
While driving to my voting pole, I heard an unthinkable story on my talk radio program. A caller had claimed to not need I.D. to place her ballot tonight. My reaction was similar to that of the talk shows host, one of surprise and awe. "What? They didn't ask you for I.D. when you voted?" I thought it common place to remember your California State drivers license or CA I.D. when heading to the poles. My voting venture for 2006 has proved different.
First of all, I bring my CA issued drivers license, that was a given to the process, to me. I arrive at my voting location. This is where I'm amazed. As I state my last name and reach for my wallet I'm told by my voting official, "No sir, that's ok, you don't need I.D." WHAT?! I thought back to previous elections, wondering if I was a few fries short of a Happy Meal, and recall the requiring of CA identification as an enforced necessity. Now, not only did I not require it, but it was refused from me, a willing and prepared citizen. Have we not learned to cover all bases yet in the importance of honest accountability? Who is to say that anyone, armed with the simple name and address of a person, could not cast a false opinion? As it is, only 50% of my precinct had reported to my voting outpost, that leaves a lot of available votes.
Up from 26% reporting last election, in my precinct, I'm sorry but, 50% still does not make a comfortable turn out rate. Even more disturbing though is the fashion in which the precious half was recorded. I expect to show I.D. I want to be expected to show identification. I apologize if I sound disappointed, I assure you I am not... I'm flat out mad! Do not dumb down the rules of the game, for the populous and think it is doing anyone a favor. Next year I want two stickers..."I voted," and "I got I.D.ed!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home