The Edutainer!

Monday, October 16, 2006


Stern Words

To give my opinion of the great Howard Stern, let me first hypothesize about his drop in listener population. Bare in mind that these observations come not from a fan. I've not been a listener, either on terrestrial radio or the later satellite waves. Saying this I respect his showmanship. Although his humor and ways of sensationalism are not my bag, he created a phenomenal fanbase. I believe his jumping of the shark came in the days of his being fined by the FCC for an issue he thought similar to something Oprah Winfrey had done, but fine-free. After this interview topic hit newsstands, I believe "The Howard Stern Radio Show" at KRock FM in New York, was a redundant rant about his loathing of the FCC. Along with this monotony, I think the threat of leaving the "free-waves" helped some listeners to broaden their morning commute entertainment horizons. In hopes of a "Pied Piper" effect, Howard promoted his satellite career to a market of mostly "daily grind commuters." Now I realize this is a generalization before saying that, the economic bracket of this market is not entirely jumping with those in need of another monthly bill, (myself included.) Needless to say, not all the sheep followed. I caught the show while listening to Free FM, San Francisco's, Adam Corolla Show. Howard simultaneously aired on his Sirius channel while calling into Adams live broadcast. The opinions spewed throughout the segment were of Howards hate for terrestrial radio now, and how free he feels from the shackles of the government regulations. In truth I believe the loss of his federal foe lost the show its edge and arch nemesis. So it's on to new rivals, namely AM and FM frequencies. In short, I am amazed at the following he once had, the media achievement he has risen to, and his courage to try other mediums, and the career he has made of his...here it comes...one trick show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home